Thursday 15 May 2014

The only things that separates us from the animals is our ability toaccessorise aka my sew late sew dolly clackett frock.


 
This is Lovejoy and the use of  him doesn't require reason.

Hey party people,

How the devil are we?  Swell I hope :)  I myself am slightly left of the middle after wrangling with with three different types of spandex but hey you gotta roll with the punches.  As the title of this wee post suggests this is the dress I made in  honour of our darling of the dress dearest Dolly Clackett aka Roisin.

 
The little darling with the gorgeous ooobop and me cradling a Terry at her surprise supercalifragalisticexpialidcious spoolette hen do organised by the epic trio of Claire, Sally and Jane.  Fabulous photo by Katie

I won't go into huge detail because this ship has already hauled anchor in suitably fabulous fashion :) but in case you've not been round these parts for a while this is the squeeze.  Darling girl is getting wedded to her swell fella Nic (I can vouch for his swellness having drank, chatted and danced with the dude he's good people) tomorrow.  In honour of the sheer fabulosity of Roisin and the joy supreme of the occasion the lovely Sarah from Rhinestone and Telephones hosted Sew Dolly Clackett.  Things like this make my cup runneth over for the sewing community.  Can you honestly get a more supportive loving bunch yay us *chuck pompoms in the air*.  Anywho the sewalong rang from February to April and there were lots of prizes to be won, which were indeed won by v worthy winners. 


Check out Roisin's post with dresses so sweet they'll give you a toothache :) Long and short of it was I knew I wasn't gonna  get my frock done during the the timeframe but I just wanted to get it done anywho to celebrate the little firecracker she is.  Plus fittingly this dress got worn to  the wonderful wedding of our friends Tania and Jo and I do love it when a story dove tails :) 

 
 

Here she is my so (sew) late addition to Sew Dolly Clackett - the kiss and make up maxi.  Made using the gorgeous By Hand London Anna, which is hugely favoured by Roisin and hot ass sewists alike and now me too.  I tell you for why because despite my height that would, you imagine v much suit a maxi all RTWs one I've tried have made me look like bad drag.  Hell I loves me some bad drag but there's only so many looks a gal can rock in one life  time but Anna has well and truly broken the curse.  Size wise I cut a 20 and dipped the double pleats at the front 2cm to release the girls into the wild with enough space to roam free.  I shaved 1.5cm off side seams from armhole to waist and dispensed with the back darts.  So all in all very minimal effort required for maximum effect huzzah!  I think next time I could afford to the lengthen the  bodice a little but hey that's small fry.

 
 
This is me and my sister giving it our best Joan and Jackie with her little munchins.  As you can see a love of big hair and big jewellery runs in the fam :)
 
 
As previously tested by me By Hand London patterns are good for being active in having run a marathon in Flora I can confirm Anna was excellent for all manner of shape chucking on the dancefloor. My friend Ronnie and I appear to be invoking the spirit of the dance lol!
 
So there you have it the kiss and make up maxi in honour of Roisin.  I think as is tradition at a wedding I would like to give a speech but in the form of a poem to celebrate this lovely lady and her impending nuptials to her charming man :) *raises glass of gin*
 
 
Dear Dolly
 
I write these lines in honour of a lady,
in who's company I have drank plenty of wines,
This is a woman who truly rocks the frocks she chooses,
and hell don't get me started on her awe inspiring collection of shoes (kinda rhymes - poetic licence)
 
We met online via twitter,
She much like me enjoys a good witter,
Then just over a year ago today happily we met in real life,
and tomorrow she'll become Dr Nic's wife,
 
He's a lucky old swine,
but rightly so because just like the band she loves together they are divine,
They both enjoy a good crime drama like Morse,
and there's Law and Order of course,
 
She's sewn her own dress to sashay down the aisle,
and I know for sure Nic's will be the biggest smile,
And when all the formalities done and they've signed their marriage rights,
They'll meet on the dancefloor and perform Wuthering Heights,
 
To both of you I send  my warmest regards,
because the pair of you are the best kind of cards!
 
Have the best day tomorrow my lovelies you totally deserve it.. You guys are gonna be so happy and  I know the road will rise up to meet you at every turn.  Huge amounts of love to you both it's an absolute pleasure to call you friends :)
 
 
 
I leave you with this image taken on Monday night at the hen do  I can only assume I'm doing some form of invocation of the good wedding spirits or I'm half cut and throwing shapes either way it goes out to you.
 
Love and all the joys it brings,
 
Miss D
 
xxx

22 comments:

  1. Charity Shop Chic15 May 2014 at 17:07

    Rehanon you are one of the best things on the internet.

    Continue being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And a beautiful poem x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this post Rehanon. The dress, the photos, the Dolly Clackett poem, but most of all my darling, darling Lovejoy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress and beautiful sentiments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise Tomlinson-Sylvest15 May 2014 at 18:56

    Love this dress and adore your poem. I too have a very late sew dolly clackett make on the way. Congrats to roisin and nic

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is amazing, and what a lovely reason to make it! The poem is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloody love this doll. You're a whole lot of Joan, Jackie, Shirley and Dolly P thrown into one awesome mix of bling, hair and fabulousness. I'm so glad I got to see this dress in the flesh, you looked hot to trot at the hen do. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazeballs dress, and lovely poem.
    Also, you and your sister are TOO FAB. Try to save some for the rest of us, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your posts and I'm so happy you started writing more often :)
    Your dress is gorgeous and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this dress soooo hard. It's perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  11. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:01

    Ah thanks darl. The fabric was hanging round for an age just waiting for the right project :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:02

    This warms my cockles darling. I'm really trying to to be a bit more regular than I have been. I do blinking love a good chat too. Thanks so much for commenting and well done on all your running xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:03

    haha thanks love I'll inform my skin and blister of your kind words :) as for you lady you're v fabulicious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:05

    Ah cheers you absolute beaut! The love comes right back at you. May we will always have big hair on our heads and large cocktails in our hands. Big snogs mwah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:06

    Ah thanks lady. Roisin is a bloody good egg and totally deserving of honouring in dress from :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:07

    Cheers pickle :) can't wait to see yours. My favourite phrase is "always late but worth the wait" hehe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:07

    Thanks sugar breeches xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:14

    Ah Lady Janey :) thanks so much. Whenever I think of LJ I immediately think of you. My friend reminded me he recently played the devil in the West End production of the Witches of Eastwick lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:15

    Thanks chicken. I do like to write prose for an important occasion :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:16

    Doll when I read this I blubbed :) you're too lovely Sal but I'm glad my madness raises a smile. Can't wait to see you soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. rehanonmackenzie28 May 2014 at 16:17

    Gah you lot make me blush. Thanks so much pickle. Can't blinking wait to see you for a few swift halves xxx

    ReplyDelete